Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Helios Coffee Company: I Love/Hate It Here

I'm having a work day at Helios Coffee Company, and as usual, mid-way through I am struck by the love-hate dichotomy I have going on with this place.

On the love side, I adore working out among the bamboo. On the hate side, they cut down a lot of it the other week to make the cafe more visible. Visible to what, people? You have a monster sign on the top of the building. You think seeing the patio is going to be the difference maker to people driving down Glenwood trying to dodge traffic?

On the love side, they serve decent sandwiches, chai, and hot chocolate. On the hate side . . . the food is only decent, and the service kind of sucks. More than a couple of times my order has been forgotten and I've had to come back multiple times to get the drink, and then the meal. All the while the three people on staff are messing around with the ipod of music or just not paying attention. It's frustrating.

They air condition the heck out of the place, too. Not a win. On the other hand, they do have wi-fi. All a girl really needs is wi-fi, right? Wi-fi, decent service, and whoever picked the emo 80's crap they are playing today to please, please get off work so someone else can run the music.

No comments: